Friday, April 10, 2015

Lesson 9 Genealogy



1. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be dead to be listed in AncestryLibrary and can frequently find useful information in the U.S. Phone and Address Directories, 1993-2002. You may even find your marriage license. Search for your own name in AncestryLibrary and report the results.


When I entered my name my marriage license popped up. I  broadened my search and my old address from 15 years ago was listed.
 
 
2.  In AncestryLibrary, search for a grandparent or great-grandparent and see if you can locate them in the census.  Report your findings.
 
I typed in my grandfathers name and found out he was born in 1888 and married in 1920. My mom's only brother also came up in the census of 1945.



3.  In AncestryLibrary, type "South Dakota" in the location box and click Search. On the left side of the next screen is a link for Pictures.  Click Pictures, see what's there, and look at one or more. Report your findings. 


When searching for pictures I found there were over 1136 historical postcards. The first one I looked at was the public school, DeSmet S.Dak. that was very interesting. then I looked at Flandreau High School. That must have been the thing to do, make postcards of your school!

4. In HeritageQuest, there are over 28,000 family and local histories in their online historical books.  Search for a place or browse the publications.  Report back on something that interested you.

I typed in my hometown, only one entry came up and it was for the 1940 census.

5. In Sanborn Maps, select South Dakota. Then select your town or a town with which you are familiar. Choose a date. Look at the first page containing the Index. Then navigate around the pages and see what you discover. Try to find a building on the map that is still in use today. Report your findings.


In Sanborn Maps I selected the small town of Carthage, S.D. The most recent date I could chose was Dec. 1925. My uncle used to own a business right along the railroad tracks in Carthage. There were many businesses in Carthage in 1925. Right now I can only think of less than 10 that are still operating today. There is a notice on the page - NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY.

Next I went to my hometown. May 1943 was the latest date listed. Rather than small towns in rural S.D. growing they have all shrunk a lot over the last 100 years!

1 comment:

  1. You made some great discoveries here,librarian lil! I agree that those historical postcards are very interesting. Regarding small towns, sad to say, in general it seems that you are right. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete